Afghanaid is an international charity that operates only in Afghanistan. We work alongside Afghans in the most remote and marginalised areas of Afghanistan, to help them meet their survival and development needs.
We work with rural communities to promote their economic, social and political rights. Using sustainable and equitable practices, we seek to help poor Afghans to help themselves.
Afghanaid works with and alongside Afghans, helping them find their own solutions.
We adapt and cater to the environmental and social aspects of the regions, changing it to better local communities’ options.
Our work supports three pillars of sustainable development by providing support for:
- Basic Services - We enable better access to education facilities by building schools and roads. We are digging and building water wells, providing clean drinking water, sanitation and hygiene. We are also investing in community infrastructure, by installing irrigation and hydroelectric power systems.
- Livelihoods - We work in agriculture and food security projects by teaching transferrable skills to thousands of farmers in harvesting crops like wheat, fruit and vegetables; benefitting income as well as diet by adding nutrients. We also develop natural resource management by guiding how best to use and protect the land and fields. We encourage better animal or livestock care through immunisation and inoculation. Our work has supported thousands of men and women become effective producers and entrepreneurs, teaching them the vocational skills needed from rural savings and enterprise to launch and operate a small business. In this way, Afghanaid’s contribution makes it easier for Afghans to remain financially secure and viable through all seasons of the year.
- Emergency Assistance and Disaster Risk Reduction - Afghanistan is prone to natural disasters. It is vital, we provide emergency assistance to help local people deal and respond to these floods, draughts and earthquakes. We assist with the immediate and long-term needs with our food and livelihoods response. It is pivotal that we protect the progression of our projects so disaster risk reduction is crucial. We establish emergency partnerships by supplementing government and local communities’ assistance.
Afghanaid's projects fit together so that everyone benefits be they old or young, male or female.
Throughout the three pillars of our sustainable development we integrate three pivotal crosscutting themes:
- Community Development - We aim to bring communities together by promoting community ownership, understanding and contribution.
- Local Governance- We believe in improving local governance, to ensure that services and development are in line with the needs and priorities of the poorest people.
- Gender Equality - We promote the role of women in communities, which we believe contributes to higher economic and political stability.
For more information, click on the relevant areas outlined above or to the right of this page. Also browse our Case Studies to meet the Afghans Afghanaid has been working with.