Afghanaid is an international charity that operates only in Afghanistan. We work alongside Afghans in the most remote and marginalised areas of Afghanistan, to help them meet their survival and development needs.
We work with rural communities to promote their economic, social and political rights, essentially helping poor Afghans to help themselves.
Water, Sanitation and Hygiene
Providing communities with access to safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene is a high priority for Afghanaid. We believe that day-to-day access to safe drinking water is hugely important for communities and, in the event of an emergency, it is a critical component to recovery.
Our work is focused on reducing illness and fatalities caused by lack of clean water, poor sanitation and hygiene practices. We reduce the risk of disease and improve mortality rates by improving the relevant infrastructure and understanding of health issues.
In the northern provinces of Afghanistan, communities are often dependent on rainfall to provide water for drinking, irrigation and livestock. Water sources are scarce during the dry season, leaving those that are available unsafe for human consumption. Natural disasters create the immediate need for Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) services. Below is a list of what our WASH projects include:
- Construction and rehabilitation of water reservoirs
- Provision of basic sanitation through the construction of simple, socially-acceptable latrines and the mobilisation of local groups through Community-Led Total Sanitation (CLTS)
- Installation of low-cost bio-sand filters to clean water for individual households
- Hygiene awareness campaigns
- Conduct water quality tests to ensure that water facilities are meeting quality standards
- Distribution of non-food items (NFIs) such as water containers and essential hygiene items
- Formation and training of community volunteers (WASH Communities and Community Health Volunteers)
Afghanaid works closely with local community councils to develop water and sanitation committees. We train these committees to promote and develop water, sanitation and hygiene initiatives within their community.
All Afghanaid’s WASH interventions are designed to contribute to the Millennium Development Goals for water and sanitation.